The majority of clients feel fine after a colonic treatment and do not experience any unwanted side effects. However here are a few simple measures that will ensure you continue to benefit from the treatment and assist in relieving any discomfort you may feel.
- Don’t overeat. Eat simply cooked or raw food and chew well. A diet rich in fruit and veg. especially leafy green will add to the cleansing effect and help to regulate bowels. Soups are good straight after a colonic.
- Eat only whole grains, eg. Brown rice, wholemeal flour, not refined white flour eg. White bread, pasta. Refined or white grains and excess dairy products are mucus forming.
- A small amount of water is absorbed during the treatment and you may find an increased need to urinate. This is normal and will subside quickly.
- Drink plenty of fluids. If digestion is weak, don’t drink with meals or for 30 minutes before or 1 hour after meals.
- Avoid alcohol, sugar and spicy foods for at least 48 hours.
- You may experience some flatulence and bowel sounds – this is due to the bowel bacteria multiplying back up to strength for up to 48 hours after treatment. Probiotic supplements may be useful after your treatment.
- If griping occurs drink hot peppermint, fennel, or chamomile infusions and place hot water bottle on tummy and avoid cold drinks, carbonated drinks and gassy foods. This is particularly relevant for those who suffer with IBS, therefore avoid fresh and dried fruit also.
- Don’t expect a bowel movement the next day; depending on your condition, it may take several days before normal movements resume.
- Avoid rigorous exercise or weight lifting for 24 hours after treatment.
- Remember to chew your food properly, this aids digestion and reduces gas.
Little and often is better rather than three big meals a day.
- If you experience any continued discomfort or are concerned about anything, please contact your therapist.